(Disclaimer: Long read ahead. Read at your own risk. Some stuff may qualify for "anti-nationalism")
26th September, 2019:
“Two Dalit children killed in MP for ‘defecating’ in open” (Link - https://indianexpress.com/article/india/2-dalit-children-killed-in-mp-for-defecating-in-open-2-arrested-6029629/)
27th September, 2019:
“Family of Dalit children who were thrashed to death for defecating in open
decide to leave village (Link - https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/family-of-dalit-children-who-were-thrashed-to-death-for-defecating-in-open-decide-to-leave-village/article29522332.ece)
3rd October, 2019: “Rural
India has declared itself open defecation free: PM Modi” (Link https://indianexpress.com/article/india/rural-india-has-declared-itself-open-defecation-free-pm-modi-6049706/)
Merely 7 days after 2 kids were
killed for ‘defecating’ in open, rural India “declared” itself open defecation
free. So announced our Hon’ble PM. Are these two things irony or just unholy
coincidence or the last one is the logical corollary of the first one - one may
wonder if one reads news (moreover, cares to bother).
One may choose to read these “headlines”
& ignore these. After all, how are they going to technically affect us? I was
clueless too as to why these have to bother me; but I was moved after reading
these and I tell you why it affected me deep inside: (first two headlines)
·
Excretion is the basic necessity for survival like the food. Moreover, safe, secure and accessible toilets are just basic
necessities – essential not only for personal hygiene and safety but also for general
public health & sanitation. Lack of these things means either you have to
hold or just do it wherever you find place – none of these are safe options.
·
After going through the story covered in these
headlines what was more hurting was that those kids had no access to toilet,
for the application made by their family to build the toilet was rejected (for
no apparent reason). So essentially it means they were rendered with no other
option but to relieve themselves in open for which they “rightly” got “punished”
& price was nothing more than their “lives”. And needless to say who has
the "right" to do the so called “justice” is the “upper caste”.
·
Another horrific thing mentioned was, one of
their siblings (like these kids) had to drop-out of the school due to repeated discrimination
and was forced to make living by cleaning the very same school & toilets
therein for weekly wages of Rs.10-20/-. This thing in particular is very
disturbing and offensive on so many levels.
·
Their family fearing for lives have decided to
leave the village. Such a misery – that too inflicted not just by the society
but also by the State.
When I discussed this with some
of friends, some of them told me to ignore; some said we really cannot do
anything to change it; some said may be we need another birth to set things
right; some said we have to change this & we shall do it. I could see too
many perspectives – apathetic, pathetic, and empathetic. I felt too restless to
ignore this. I am aware there is little that I can do to change, so I decided
to write instead. And before I could finish my write-up, I came across today’s
headline (3rd headline).
This headline & the news
thereunder led to another string of questions:
- Have things changed so rapidly in just 7 days, that rural India “declared itself ODF”?
- Did PM himself verified what he declared?
- · Are these headlines really connected or connection between them is just my imagination?
I will try to find answers to
these one by one.
- Have things changed so rapidly in just 7 days, that rural India “declared itself ODF”?
ODF was one of the components of
Swachh Bharat Mission launched on 2nd October, 2014. I recently got an
opportunity to travel through various villages across India. I must say that
things are indeed changing. I could see toilets built & used in every
village I visited. There were certain regions which were yet to build toilets.
I also got an opportunity to hear Mr. Parameswaran Iyer - Secretary, Ministry
of Drinking Water and Sanitation, Government of India and leading force behind flagship
Swachh Bharat Mission. In his insightful session, Mr. Iyer highlighted how
things are changing – attitudinal change, behavioural change etc. And trust me,
I found these to be very promising.
However, when you see such
killings, it makes you question everything you have read or seen. These cannot
be dismissed as mere trivial things. So yes, things are changing and it will
take more time and more sustained efforts to change the things. Essentially
these are not “rapid” changes but the gradual ones.
- Did PM himself verified what he declared?
Of course, due to paucity of
time, PM has to rely on whatever information is being served to him. So it is
not expected that he shall verify these things. Needless to say, each statement
made by the person at such stature holds weight and is bound to be taken seriously.
It highlights another two issues:
1.
Numbers or statistics are produced just to
please the master.
2.
India (Rural/ Urban) is not ODF as mentioned.
And both of these are problematic
for us as a citizen. It essentially means we are served lies and made to
believe those. These lies contribute bit by bit in creating illusion that “Everything
is fine”.
- Are these headlines really connected or connection between them is just my imagination?
Okay, so kids got killed
apparently for defecating in open. Some may argue that these are victims of
caste-based discrimination. Indeed they are, but the trigger is open defecation. Whichever
angle you try to put, the fact that kids had no other place than toilets to
relieve themselves cannot be denied.
But then is there any connection
among those headlines? Of course there is:
- If kids are being killed for “defecating” in open, one cannot in any possible manner “claim” that rural India is ODF.
- And despite the fact above, one has audacity to claim so then one must admit that there are flaws in criteria determining what ODF means.
- Essentially one has to admit the flaws in the implementation of the scheme too.
Of these, if it was said that
things are changing and will change in future, it was still fine. But it is
really difficult to digest the outright false, untrue & deceitful stats and the statement we got served ironically on the occasion of the birth anniversary of the leader who
taught us about “Satyagraha”.
I don’t know what lies ahead. Whether
victims’ family will get justice? Whether people will stop defecating in open?
Whether we will throw away the caste barriers? I have no answers. I wrote these
things because these were plaguing me for past few days. I am not hope-less. I
believe things will change. Together we can, yes I believe!
Very well written..it's burning issue
ReplyDeleteUnfortunately, except IE and Hindu no other news or media group is flashing such an important news...
ReplyDeleteMuch informative.. And Very sad news...
ReplyDelete